[TN-Bird] [Fwd: Re: Re: About that April Ivory-bill posting]

  • From: Beau Peyton <bpeyton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TOS <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:07:19 -0500

--- Begin Message ---
  • From: Beau Peyton <bpeyton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AHoodedWarbler@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:06:34 -0500
AHoodedWarbler@xxxxxxx wrote:

I know these sites are not a democracy, but is there anyway to gauge the opinion of both active posters as well as those who simply read the posts and decide what we want?

If we want no "real world" intrusion such as politics, that needs to be clear and the moderator will just have to not forward posts that broach such topics. It's beginning to look very random which "political" posts get through and which do not.

Unfortunately, again in my opinion only, politics is becoming more important to birders and birding. If you're not willing to fight for something, you might just lose it.

I'm new to birding, but have a long association with activism and political discourse. Frankly, I don't see how you can logically attempt to separate politics from ornithology, since ecosystems and habitat are so incredibly affected by the actions of governments, as well as corporations and individuals.

Yet, I can easily see why the moderator or list owners would want to temper such discussions, since they can destroy a list. I've seen it, and when it happens, a lot of good discussion and good ideas evaporate quicker than a dusting of snow in Memphis.

So, we're faced with a problem. As people that love birds (and all living things), I believe we really need to find a way to responsibly and respectfully discuss political issues that directly affect ecosystems and therefore birds. Perhaps we should limit the discussion to issues that are directly related to the bioregions represented on the list. It's probably counterproductive to discuss Glen Canyon Dam or damnable actions elsewhere on the planet on a Tennessee ornithology list. After all, what can you really do to change what happens in Utah or Iraq? Not much, regardless of what some people may think.

You can, however, make a difference in your local community, by participating in grass roots activism and democracy. Republican, Democrat or in between. Local is where it's at. Know everything you possibly can about native and non-native flora and fauna and the issues affecting the health of your bioregion. Get involved with groups that are working to preserve and protect your local ecosystem, and if there isn't one, start one.

I like the idea of a sub-list. A list that addresses activism, politics and legal issues affecting birds and all species. That way, there's a place for people to discuss such issues that choose to do so. Another possible solution is for people to put the word POLITICAL in their subject line of all politically oriented messages. That way, people that don't want to read political posts can route the mail directly to their trash bin. It's not difficult to set up a filter in your mail program.

Whether you decide to open the discussion to politics or not, my advice is for each and every single one of you to remain engaged or get engaged in your local communities and fully understand the issues that affect local bird populations. If you don't, you'll one day wish you had.

(Apologies for the "sermon")

Cheers,

Beau Peyton
Germantown, TN