[slackintosh-users] Re: quick hardware status summary? slackintosh returns ;-)

  • From: Thorsten Johannvorderbrueggen <thorsten.johannvorderbrueggen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:25:09 +0200

Hello Jason,

Jason Byrne wrote:

Hi,

Nice to see slackintosh alive & kicking again...

A few questions...

How well does the latest generation of iBooks or Powerbooks work in
Linux PPC land these days?

I have iBook G4 (the "new" one with 1,42GHz) , which works fine (Ok you have to path the kernel for sound an trackpad).

Video... accelerated?  Radeon 9550 Mobility support?  I remember Michel
Danzer (Debian) was doing stuff for PPC DRI/3D a while back... haven't
checked status lately.

Video worked, accelerated (?)

Airport extreme... still a sad Broadcom story?

Yes, but it seems, that it will be "fixed some day"

Sound... ALSA still good for latest hardware?

Yes --> you need to patch the kernel or use the "devel"-Alsa-Version

FYI... I was running slackintosh as a base on an iBook G3 900 for quite
a while... 2.4.x kernel, MOL w/MacOS 9.1, 10.2, etc... and the iBook
had an unfortunate accident (RIP)... and would love to pick up another
iBook if linux ppc is doing reasonably well supporting the hardware.

At the moment i work on "power-managment" --> cpufreqd/powernow. (For suspend to X you need to path the kernel --> will test it in next week or so)

(really not into Mac OS 8.x/9.x/X or Macs in general... but the iBook
G3 was pretty much the perfect linux laptop in 12" with a little bit of
know-how)

Buy an iBook! I have a lot of fun with my one!

Thanks,
- Jason

When all works, i will made some packages (kernel, ...) and upload them on http://slackintosh.workaround.ch/pub/contrib/thorsten.

Bye