[SI-LIST] Re: Comparing layers on two artworks

  • From: Stuart Brorson <sdb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Kotson, Michael" <mkotson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:12:59 -0400 (EDT)

> I'm looking for input on a tool for comparing artwork.   I've done a
> quick search of the archives and haven't seen anyone discuss this topic.

If you're using Linux, another option is to try this flow:

1.  Generate Gerbers using your layout tool.

2.  Read in the Gerbers using the open-source Gerber viewing tool
"gerbv", available here:

http://gerbv.sourceforge.net/

3.  Using gerbv, you can export .png files.  (Indeed, there should be
a way to just use gerbv as a command line filter to create .png files,
like this:  gerbv --export-png GerberFile.gbr

4.  Then, you can use the "compare" utility from ImageMagick to
visually compare the two .png files.  This is described here:

http://www.imagemagick.org/script/compare.php

Note that I haven't used this flow myself, so I can't warn you against
any gotchas.  However, the gerbv build system uses this flow to verify
correctness on a nightly basis (or whenever there is a checkin) so it
should work for you too.

Linux only, however!

Cheers,

Stuart