[pure-silver] Re: Suggestions needed from the real experts here

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 21:01:44 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Blackwell" <markb1958@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 7:39 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Suggestions needed from the real experts here

prints.

--- Richard Knoppow Los Angeles, CA, USA dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks for the help Richard. Next time I might just develop normally and test that out too. In fact sometime soon I might do it on purpose to see what happens I am sure it won't be the last time the dummy behind the viewfinder makes a mistake. LOL A drop in contrast might actually help this particular subject, but a higher contrast paper is an option if needed. I ended up using recommended development time x .80 for the Tri X and x .90 for a role of T Max that was also done the same way per kodak recommendation. Even if it was bad advise, its worth knowing that too.

One thing I will say that I was a bit surprised at these days. First the Kodak site had a phone number to call with a question. Second someone answered the phone promptly, politely and answered my question. No long waits. Only one or two menu items to get to a person. I like a lot of different bw films, but I am going to buy a lot more Kodak because of the fact that they took my call and answered a question.
For some reason I forgot about Kodak's customer service, its among the few left where the people actually know something about the product. In the USA the number is 1 800 242 2424, professional photo products are at extension 19.
If you cut back development by only 10 or 15 percent you will get about normal contrast negatives which will be rather dense. They should print well. Depending on the subject some overexposure is sometimes benificial.
C.1940 a group at Kodak Research Labs, led by Loyd A. Jones, conducted very extensive research into the tone rendition of film and paper. Jones had been working since the 1920's (perhaps even before) on means of measuring film speed that would have some significance to the practicing photographer. Earlier methods were of interst to emulsion researchers but of limited practical application to pictorial photography. Jones's method was eventualy adopted by Kodak as its standard internal method and "Kodak" speeds began to be published c.1940. A modification of this sytem was adoped C. 1943 as the orignal ASA system.
In their research into tone rendition and film speed Jones's object was to find the minimum exposure which would yield an "excellent" print. The reason for minimizing the exposure was because films of the time became grainier and lost some sharpness with density. This is still true but not to such an extent. It was thought that the thinest negative which would yield "excellent" tone rendition was the optimum. What Jones found was that after a certain minimum exposure was reached the tone rendition did not change for increased exposure over a very wide range. So, while minimum exposure has some benifit in minimizing grain and maximizing sharpness it does not have much effect on tone rendition provided that the exposure is enough.
The criteria Jones settled on for his speed method was to set the minimum density which was to have any detail at a point on the toe where the gradient was 0.33 of the straight line portion. In practice, this proved very difficult to measure, so when the ASA revised the speed method in 1958, they adopted a method used by the Germans. This DIN standard was not the one from the 1930's but a newer method. The speed point was defined as a fixed density above gross fog and support density when the film was given a standard series of exposures and developed to a specified contrast. The ASA in testing this method found that the difference between speeds given by it and by the Jones minimum gradient method were very close provided a correction factor was applied to move the speed point up the toe. The ASA found after surveying a large number of films on the market at the time that if the speed from the DIN method was corrected by multiplying by 0.8 it would agree in nearly all cases with the Jones method. In addition, the original ASA speed standard for some reason included a 2x safety factor. This turned out to be a blunder since most exposure errors are in the direction of over rather than under exposure, so when one used the ASA speed one got rather dense negatives. When the new method was adopted in 1958 the fudge factor was dropped and all films doubled in speed overnight.
The point of this is to show that overexposure by 2 or even more stops does not wreck the tone rendition of the resulting print. It may take longer to expose but the results will be the same.
As far as minimum exposure goes, its of some value for small format negatives, mainly 35mm. By the time one gets to 2-1/4 x 2-1/4 there is probably little gain and none for larger sizes.
For underexposure you are generally cooked. Since the film speed gives about the minimum exposure that will yield good tone rendition any further reduction is likely to result in empty shadows or distorted mid grays if contrast is increased in an attempt to make the shadows look right.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx