Read Only User

  • From: Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 06:51:25 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

I've been asked to shoehorn a user with "read only" access into a database
which wasn't designed to accommodate that.

Creating a role with select only on tables and views was easy but I'm
struggling with how to handle packaged functions (which allow indirect access
to view data).  I can't grant execute on the whole package, as it also contains
procedures that allow data changes.

I could create wrapper packages with only the functions exposed, but that looks
like a great big maintenance swamp as this isn't a very stable app and the
developers keep on changing the package interfaces.

Any easier ideas? (9.2 btw)

Thanks
- Charlotte