RAID 5+1 and BAARF

  • From: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 20:05:22 +0000

I am more on the development side, so I have very little experience with
hardware. I have read the articles on BAARF. I directly our infrastructure guy
to the webpage and he is looking at it. Here is an email I got from him. Is
there ever a cause to use RAID 5?

-------------------------------

Using RAID1 or RAID10 would increase the cost of the company SAN by atleast a
factor of 3.

I worked on this two years ago, so the information below is 2 years old.

In SAN  (EMC or Hitachi arrays) the issues pointed out by Milsap and others are
avoided as follows, keeping the cost low:

- There are spare disks on the array. The array takes care of automatically
replacing a bad disk in the stripe set thus keeping the "reduced performance
duration", that  to a minimal.

- With lot of cache, fiber backplane and parallel writes to stripes, the "four
I/O operations per read/write"  issue is mitigated.