Storing blobs in database vs filesystem

  • From: "Sandeep Dubey" <dubey.sandeep@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 14:39:36 -0400

I have a document processing system on Oracle 10.2 Linux. It stores
document as blob in the database. We store 1 Million docs a month and
current table size is 5 million. Database size is 50 GB out of which
blob table takes 35 GB. (It is not partitioned).

We are facing administrative issues with the size. E.g we had to move
to 64 bit system from 32 bit using export import. It took a while to
finish. Doing a export import for development/test databases is
getting cumbersome.

I am considering moving blobs to filesystem. This will reduce the
database size by 70%, reduce backup time, export/import time.

What could be challenge in storing it on file system? Any major
disadvantage that I should not consider it at all?

Thanks

Sandeep
--
//www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l