Oracle 11g: Yet another about face on OFA naming conventions

  • From: "Paul Vincent" <Paul.Vincent@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:14:58 +0100

It seems Oracle have yet again rethought their naming conventions for
the Optimal Flexible Architecture.

For 10g, for instance, the conventions included:

ORACLE_BASE recommended as e.g. system_drive:\oracle\product\10.2.0

ORACLE_HOME recommended as e.g. ORACLE_BASE\db_1

ADMIN directory recommended to be under ORACLE_BASE, so that bdump
directory for database ORCL would be:
system_drive:\oracle\product\10.2.0\admin\ORCL\bdump

ORADATA directory recommended to be under ORACLE_BASE, so that control
file for database ORCL would be:
system_drive:\oracle\product\10.2.0\oradata\ORCL\control01.ctl

Now, at the time, on this list and elsewhere, this was criticised for
being against the aims of the "original" OFA, in that it placed admin
files and data files under the directory for a specific release of
Oracle, instead of under the general "oracle" directory. It was pointed
out that, when 11g came along and 10g databases were migrated to 11g,
DBAs would be faced with the choice of either leaving the admin and data
files under a directory whose full path would misleadingly tag them as
belonging to a 10g database, or moving them under the 11g base
directory, with all the inconvenience that would entail.

Sure enough, under 11g, we are now told the OFA conventions should be:

ORACLE_BASE recommended as e.g. system_drive:\oracle (There's the first
difference, straight away)

ORACLE_HOME recommended as e.g. ORACLE_BASE\product\11.1.0\db_1 (same
end result as in 10g, but derived differently from ORACLE_BASE)

ADMIN directory recommended to be under ORACLE_BASE, so that bdump
directory for database ORCL would be:
system_drive:\oracle\admin\ORCL\bdump

ORADATA directory recommended to be under ORACLE_BASE, so that control
file for database ORCL would be:
system_drive:\oracle\oradata\ORCL\control01.ctl

Now, note that the 11g OFA conventions are once more back in keeping
with the "original" OFA. Which is a good thing. When you migrate to the
next version of Oracle (12g?), your admin files and data files can stay
put, without anything misleading about their path names.

Hurrah!

Except... some of us (well, myself, anyway) decided, when installing 10g
databases, to stick with Oracle's recommended OFA naming conventions for
10g, so as to be as compliant as possible with their recommendations
(always a good idea when anticipating dealing with Oracle Support). So
my Oracle Base, under which all present and future Oracle Homes will be
slotted, is oracle\product\10.2.0, and all other files and directories
are named and positioned as per the 10g OFA guidelines. But when I
upgrade to 11g I'll be stuck with this, and will be forced into
conventions which are no longer consistent with their 11g OFA
guidelines.

I wish they'd make their minds up.

Pah!

Paul Vincent
Database Administrator
Information and Communication Technology
UCE Birmingham
paul.vincent@xxxxxxxxx