Re: [SPAM] RE: Is it really necessary to reduce ITL Waits to near zero?

  • From: "Anjo Kolk" <anjo.kolk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 01:21:12 +0200

Has been at the heart of YAPP since 1996, but then again that is over almost
12 years old now :)

On 5/9/07, Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Hi David,

I actually did read most of your last post, and I was going to reply.
But, I got pulled into a meeting and sidetracked, etc....

Anyhow, to address your much simplified question:  No, if ITL waits (or
any kind of wait or contention) does not contribute to response time, don't
waste your time.  This is at the heart of Method R, which Cary describes in
his book, and Amdahl's Law, which you can read about here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahls_law

Simple conclusion is that if it doesn't affect user response time, why do
you care?

-Mark

*--*
*Mark J. Bobak*
*Senior Oracle Architect*
*ProQuest/CSA*

"There are 10 types of people in the world:  Those who understand binary,
and those who don't."