RE: SGA_MAX_SIZE on Solaris

  • From: "Rognes, Sten" <Sten.Rognes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 17:09:12 -0700

Be careful with using sga_max_size on Solaris (I am assuming that's your
platform). There is a Solaris bug which is claimed to can cause up to a 90%
performance degradation, bug#4675878. This bug affects both Solaris 8 and
earlier releases of Solaris 9. Although there are a Solaris 8 patch
available or in the works for this, I would not recommend using this feature
unless you are on Solaris 9 update 2(4/03) where large page support is
introduced for DISM segments and DISM and ISM performance is similar.

There are some notes on Metalink that will answer your questions below,
check out # 151222.1.

Sten