Re: ASH droppings in bdump - 10.1.0.3 / win32

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 09:09:07 +0000

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 22:06:13 -0500, Paul Drake <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> win32 - w2k server sp4
> Oracle 10g - 10.1.0.3.
>
> how much of a nuisance is hundreds of these trace files, when we're
> not yet using ASH?
> (haven't yet worked out the licensing issues).

Hi Paul

Having just attended a 10g New Features course (I'm pretty sure I'll
never attend a NF course again btw) I'm fairly convinced that the only
supported way to avoid the pesky licensing issues is to set
STATISTICS_LEVEL=BASIC as TYPICAL kicks in most if not all of the
marvellous but pay extra for new features. As John K says there are a
number of hidden parameters (got to be some way of getting the
parameter count down whilst adding features right) that are relevant,
I'd rather just set the one. You can query V$FEATURE_USAGE to see what
would presumably turn up in an audit - though some of the tests are a
little interesting

I will however be raising a tar and or query with our sales rep who
claimed in passing when he was in trying to sell us app server on the
cheap that 'we won't take away features that you already have
available to you when you upgrade'.  I currently think that this is
essentially untrue.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA