[opendtv] Audio problem with Zenith/Insginia converter boxes.

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:11:30 -0400

The following is from the PBS internal message board. And I just received my coupons last week and purchased an Insignia from Best Buy. Figures.

John

Forwarded message follows:
At the Tech Conference I spoke with the Zenith Rep about an issue we found with our Zenith, Insignia, and Digital Stream converter boxes. When hooked up for RF to RF delivery the audio signal coming out of the converter is left channel ONLY! Not stereo or mono mix. In testing the units we have here we did find this to be the case. He said this was a design flaw and that the product runs of the LG chip set was halted until this issue could be resolved.

H also said that there was no plans for a product recall but that the company was planning on a case by case exchange policy as complaints came in. I do not know how many brands use the LG chip set but this is a good way to determine it.

When the lines start running again the new models of the Zenith will be 1 number up from the original. DTT9001.