[openbeosnetteam] Re: Userland debugging/tests plateformprogress...

  • From: "Philippe Houdoin" <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 01:00:08 GMT

> Running ifconfig without export NET_STACK_DRIVER_PATH=/dev/net/server
> is what causes the kernal to crash hard.

Oh. Okay. Kernel stack is crashing, so. No big surprise, in fact.

One hint: remove any kernelland OBOS net stack modules from your ~/
config/add-ons/kernel/network/* folder and, even better, you can
remove the net_stack_driver too.

Until we have a enough crash-prone stack again, it make no sense to be
KDL crashing when we have an userland debugging platform to debug our
stack...
I hope to go hunting on our stack internal this week-end, but who
knows...
So, everyone currious is welcome to help debug our stack:

http://philippe.houdoin.free.fr/phil/beos/openbeos/network_kit/
net_stack_tester_kit.zip

- Expand somewhere
- Run Install script
- From a Terminal :
  $ export NET_STACK_DRIVER_PATH=/dev/net/server
  $ ifconfig -a
  $ ifconfig loop0 127.0.0.1 up netmask 255.255.0.0
  $ ping 127.0.0.1

For more real (thru wire) tests, you should allow one ethernet driver
to be used by the OBOS stack, aka disable it in BONE/net_server.
Oh, remember, bdb is your friend....

Have fun, guys :-p

-Philippe

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

It may be bad manners to talk with your mouth full, but it isn't too
good either if you speak when your head is empty.