[openbeos] Bootable Test CD

  • From: "Karl vom Dorff" <karl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 18:17:18 -0400

Hi,

I've submitted a bootable test
CD<http://www.haikuware.com/view-details/development/app-installation/haiku-bootable-alpha-test-cd>at
Haikuware and have had a lot of comments about it. Some for, and some
against.

I take the side that the software might be good for developers who don't
want to bother setting up a build environment, download the entire source,
and then compile it and figure out why there's isn't an *.iso etc. They just
burn it, test it, and maybe as a result submit patches or fixes to Haiku.
Or, maybe users might have the same issue, and later submit bug reports or
add their hardware to our hardware database.

The other side is that Haiku should release a demo CD when Haiku is ready
because it might give a false impression to users/critics.

I believe I've read and understood the BSD/MIT license correctly, and it
says that the software can be freely distributed/altered etc. but I don't
want to cause any rifts. So, I'd like to know how the developers feel. I can
easily remove the software if suggested/required.