[juneau-lug] Re: Qmail

  • From: "Myron Davis" <myrond@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:19:15 -0900 (AKST)

Absolutely,

I run have installed qmail from source on at least 15 servers, w/
vpopmail+rblsmtpd+squirrelmail+qpsmtpd+patches+courierimap+couriervpopmail
patches+courierpasswd+courierpopd+spamassassinsql(w/ integrated control
from vpopmail)+qmailadmin+qmailscanner
+mcafee+587authenticationsubmissionserver+qmail w/ following patches,
glibcerrno,qmail-localpatch,control/maxrcpts patch,mail bomb protection
patch, qmailqueue variable patch, dns enveloping checking
patch,big-concurrency patch,big-todo patch, autouid-gid patch,
bind-interface patch, condredirect patch, install-path-big-todo patch,
pop3d-stat patch,showctl patch, linksync reiserfs patch, tls.patch
(encryption),modified home+df.patch

also I have written the only /var/lib/vpopmail/etc/mailfilter (that I know
of) which successfully integrates spamassassin w/ vpopmail+squirrellmail
and enabled catchalls and aliased domains properly and server-side
maildrop filtering. (available at http://vchkpw.xyxx.com).

btw, I'm a real fan of qmail :)

qmail is feature light but very good/secure software.  Unfortunately it is
missing some features and due to licensing you can only install them by
manually patching qmail.

I wouldn't call installing qmail "easy", and if you're going to do it
since qmail approaches mail a bit differently then most other mail servers
it will take a bit, but it is well worth it.

You may want to look at another mail server (e.g. postfix), which doesn't
require as much patching.  But a well run qmail server is very lovely.

-Myron