[homeclinic] Homeclinic'ers, Here's Your DRSNews!

  • From: Dave Harnish <drs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: homeclinic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 23:33:52 -0600

The DRSNews, May 2005
(Our 3rd Anniversary Issue!)
Hi Homeclinic'ers!

By Subscription Only
Published by Dave?s Repair Service, All Rights Reserved
You are currently subscribed with email address:
==> homeclinic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Unsubscribe instructions are at the end of this newsletter.

Feel free to forward this newsletter to friends and invite
them to sign up! Just send them to: www.DavesRepair.com
***************************************
A Special Welcome to all our new subscribers, especially
my fellow YMMSS members!

Note: to help this newsletter wade through all the 'spam'
filtering now in use and reach you, I recommend that you
add my address to your email program's address book:
drs@xxxxxxxxxx (In Outlook Express, just right - click
on the subject line, then click 'add sender to address
book')

In this issue:

1) Easy Cure for Whirlpool/KM Washer Brake Lockup
2) Own a Business? Advertise Here - and Get Paid for It!
3) Next Month: Simple Tool to Test Your Dryer's Airflow

1)  Here's how to cure the brake lockup problem with
those top load washers we call 'direct drives', made under
the Whirlpool, Kenmore, Kitchenaid, Roper and Estate
brand names. I'm thrilled to say that I've found a much
easier, faster cure than ever. Correcting this used to take
me an hour and a quarter, but now runs around 15 minutes
using this method! Woo-hoo!

What I call 'spin brake lockup' is characterized by the
washer's basket stopping too suddenly at the end of spin.
This can be so violent that the entire machine can actually
pivot out of place. Yikes!

I used to see this happen on these washers only rarely, but
for whatever reason it seems to be getting more common.
The inertia of this sudden stop can 'strip' the washer's drive
coupler and bring the machine to a halt. And I've seen a few
cases that stripped the drive tabs off the basket drive block,
and that's a pretty impressive chunk of aluminum.

This appears to be caused by paint on the inside of the brake
drum 'gumming' up and making the brake shoes grab. I used
to pull the tub, transmission, and basket drive out and sand
the drum and linings, which corrected the problem, at least for
a while. But it was a time consuming - and expensive - job.

But after testing the following shortcut on many of these
washers over the last year or two, I'm happy to report that
all that work is totally unnecessary! Btw, I doubt you'll see
this tip anywhere else, so it's well worth the cost of your
subscription (well, OK, your sub's free, but I wanted to make
sure you were paying attention! <grin>)

If your washer stops spinning violently like I'm describing,
within a second or two, you can cure it yourself (if it's not
repaired, it can also cause serious damage to suspension
components).

Pickup a small tube of high temperature silicone-based
grease from your local auto parts store. 'Sil-Glyde' is one
common brand that I've used for many purposes over the
years. A very handy grease to use around rubber components
that petroleum lubes would attack. This is sold as automotive
brake caliper lube, and if you ask for a small amount of
that, they'll know what you mean. Buy the smallest amount
available - you only need a tiny 'dab' on the end of a small
screwdriver.

Pull the washer's cabinet off (see note at the end of this
article) and you'll see the chrome clutch drum, right above
the transmission. Just above that is another, larger drum,
and this one's the brake drum. On most, you'll see a  foam
'rubber band' noise dampener around it.

Put a 1/4 inch 'dab' of silicone grease on the end of a small
screwdriver (I use the pen-sized one carried in my shirt
pocket), and look up into this brake drum.

You'll want to insert the screwdriver between the brake coil
spring and the inside of the drum.  Apply the grease to the
inside of the brake drum (the drum can be rotated by hand
to bring this spring around).

Be sure you're putting this into the UPPER drum (brake),
and NOT the clutch drum, which is below it, and chrome in
color. I've included a picture of the two drums in the online
version of this article. You'll find that here:
http://www.DavesRepair.com/DIYhelp/DIYddbrakelube.htm

It would be very hard to put grease on the clutch linings
inside the lower clutch drum, but I mention the possibility
just in case there's a 'Tim Allen' type (like my big brother)
out there who might take the 'more is better' approach <grin>.

That's it! Solves the brake lockup problem, and it doesn't
come back! No pulling the motor, gearcase, pump - or any
of that fun stuff like I used to! As my 15 year old daughter
would say, 'sweet!'.

Note: In the interest of keeping this issue as short as
possible, I didn't include directions for removing the washer
cabinet. You'll find those in the instructions for replacing
the drive coupler in these washers, at:
http://www.DavesRepair.com/DIYhelp/DIY285753.htm ;

2) This newsletter goes out to a lot of my online marketing
friends, so whenever I find something that's been working
for me, I like to share it with you guys. And to say the
following has been 'working' for me is an understatement!

I'll make you this promise 'up front': as long as the company
I'm about to introduce stays in business (now 3 years old and
growing fast!), you can easily replace or exceed your current
income in under two years - with NO recruiting, and NO selling!

With a unique concept and business plan that you won't
see anywhere else on the Internet or off, I've been amazed
by the responsiveness of this group of folks to my ads. My
income has been growing steadily, too, which is very, very
nice to watch <grin>.

And other than posting an ad or two every week for one of
my businesses and for this newsletter, I've done NO selling
and NO recruiting! (30 new signups to the DRSNews from
one ad placed last weekend! Welcome, guys!)

(By the way, this isn't just for business owners. 'Will work
just as well for you whether you choose to use the ad space
or not!)

It's one of those 'too good to be true' business plans, and
I started with the company back in November as a bit of a
skeptic. Which is why I've waited 6 months to share it with
you.

I can tell you now, that after spending 20-30 minutes per
week(!) working with this and getting phenomenal results,
that you definitely want to look at this one! Every member
gets paid - and did I mention there's no selling involved?!
I love the Internet! http://ThisPaysBIG.com/DaveHarnish/

3)  Next Month: I've found a simple little tool to test your
Whirlpool or Kenmore dryer (also Kitchenaid, Roper, and
Estate) vent for proper airflow. Now instead of going outside
and checking for a 'good, strong airflow' (whatever THAT
means!), there's a simple, inexpensive little device that'll
tell you if your vent's OK or if you should run a guinea pig
(um, I mean brush - it's a long story!) through it and clean
it out.

But I've been trying to keep these newsletters shorter, so
I'll let it go at that for now.

***

I do want to thank you again, Homeclinic'ers, for inviting me
into your inbox.

As always, if you have any topics you?d like to see discussed
here or covered in an online article, let me know and I?ll do
my best to oblige. And don't forget those testimonials! Many
thanks if you've already sent yours in! I'm posting them just
as fast as I can!

God bless,

Dave Harnish
Dave?s Repair Service
New Albany, PA
drs@xxxxxxxxxx
www.DavesRepair.com
(570) 363-2404

''Worry is the darkroom in which negatives can develop.''
Phil 4:6

***

The DRSNews is sent by ?opt-in? request only.Your name
and email address are held in strictest confidentiality and
are never shared with anyone.

To unsubscribe anytime, (no hard feelings!), click:

Or just send me a blank email: drs@xxxxxxxxxx
with ?unsubscribe DRSN? in the ?Subject? line
(But hey, tell me why, and I'll try to make it right, OK?)