[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1/alpha decisions

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 22:36:06 +0200

Michael Lotz <mmlr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From the software side of things, one thing of the top of my head would
> be BePDF. How would you otherwise read that hardware spec you wanted to
> write a driver for? That has actually what happened to me ;-)

Totally agreed on everything else you said. About BePDF: One can get the
current version from SourceForge (using CVS, that was actually the reason I
added the optional CVS package :-). The build system is based on BeIDE
though. I believe the only problem with BePDF is the fonts subsystem. I
found a similar problem in my own applications - the font loading code may
only look for fonts in /boot/home/config/fonts instead of
/boot/common/fonts, where Haiku fonts are installed to. Some problem along
those lines. I think we should make sure BePDF runs well on Haiku and
include it as a new optional package ASAP.

Personally, I'd love to see a few more media applications (sound), but I
would also be ok with reducing it to just development related apps. I don't
know how you guys feel about WonderBrush in that case. Hopefully this
doesn't come across the wrong way, but maybe it is good to include a few
more bigger apps besides just Firefox to show the system can support them.
I'd be willing to provide an unlocked Haiku only version of WonderBrush.

Best regards,
-Stephan