[haiku-development] Re: multi-selection semantics

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 02:55:30 +0200 CEST

"Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 6/5/07, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Ticket http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/1255 proposes to change the
> > multi
> > -selection semantics in Haiku to fit those used in Windows, Linux,
> > and
> > partially MacOS X (it does use the Apple key instead of the Control
> > key, though).
> > Do I hear anybody weeping in the dark when I do as the ticked says?
> > :-)
>
> That would be great, IMO. Those little differences always sort of
> annoyed me when using BeOS. Though of course after a while you adapt.

I suppose that if the Ctrl-people will have the more "PC-like"
behaviour,
(Ctrl and Shift working as they expect in list views), as is natural
given
their majority, then the old Ctrl-Alt low-level swapping means, that us
Alt-people get an odd mix that is neither Windows/Linux nor MacOS.
No? (Much like how those of us who choose Alt as shortcut key have
to Ctrl-Tab instead of the standard Alt-Tab.)

I was thinking the current leftclick+control (the single-button-mouse
fallback option to bring up the right-click context menu) would
conflict
with the function control would have in list selection, but people with
Control set as the "shortcut key" have leftclick+alt as the context
menu fallback option.

Will you implement multi-range selection as in Windows?
IIRC, you do this by varying which of ctrl and shift you keep pressed
while
you walk the files with the arrow keys/etc. As an example you can
select a
range, then deselect a range within that range, or go on and add
another
range, with or without the mouse. It's convenient sometimes.

/Jonas.