[dance-tech] performatic and beyond__transcultural

  • From: "Jaime del Val" <jaimedelval@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 19:16:36 +0200

Hi all,

I go on with the answers. (more to follow)

Johannes, I surely miss some of the uses of the terms performative and
performatic, but since I think one of the significant foundational uses of
performative is in performativity theory of language that I was mentioning,
I think it is important to clarify the distinctions, since to me
performativity theory, eventhough it is a very useful tool to understand
certain dynamics of language and power is possibly not applicable outside
the domain of verbal language, like in dance, unless we reduce dance to the
paradigms with which we analyse verbal language, which I think is not a good
idea.

Performatics is a term I see as more devoid of specific philosophical and
political intention and more open to define the praxis of performance in
diverse of its inceptions.

Now if performativity is not enough to understand the nonverbal processes of
dance, music  and other embodied forms of thinking and practice, I have
approached the issue through what I call metaformativity, and which attempts
to define a paradigm in which all the issues mentioned here are addressed,
around  <<generative and self-deforming...change over time... enfleshed
meaning-making and understanding. And so, perhaps, that change, that
performance, that transformation is actually more essential for, at the core
of, the "thing," than the performative utterances that name its parts (or
activities). ... engage with the embodied feedback loops between our
presupposed understandings of such categories. >> (Nathaniel)

It is true I think that performativity deals more with the permutation of
existing (language) structures, and has little room for the emergence of new
forms. This will always be the case if we start with language in the first
place. If we on the contrary see language as an effect and sedimentation of
nonverbal improvisations of the bodies we can start to understand the
complex interactions of forces, of improvisations and sedimented forms, in
the many levels of what we call non-verbal communication, in other levels of
experience and consciousness, and in the unthinkable itself. This complex
feedback, reflexivity, interrelation of forces is what I call a
metaformative process. It dosen't exclude performativity, it rather includes
it, but it exceeds it as well. It is a process in which the very structures
thorugh which we "articulate" and "understand" emerge together with the
realities we attempt to apprehend: it is the movement of thought itself, the
self, that emerges in the process.

Now we can understand this in the context of such theories of mirror
neurons, enactive cognition and proprioception, perhaps, since everytime I
see a movement of yours, I mirror it and embody it, and then it has become
something else, If I attempt to reproduce it I cannot but  generate
something different, in the specificity of this body, your gesture is
transduced to my field of forces, my register of associations, my open
coordinates of interaction. The mirrorings that constitute embodiment have
always fragmentary and deforming effects in the forces that are reflected.

I hope to get back more extensively on a definition of metaformativity.

i'm not sure I responded the question...

As for your other comment, indeed we engage in little transcultural
exchange, and dance-tech as we usually work with it here is a rather western
context, I guess. If we start to listen carefully to the different uses of
language amongst "western" colleagues and contexts, we will be all the more
prepared to undergo the far more complex quest of opening the ears to the
transcultural... Maybe the concepts used in the far east don't reach us
because some of our eatern colleagues don't see us prepared to hear  them
without prejudgements from the "high academy"... do we have to make a move
to show that we are open to hear what divergencies of meaning eastern
concepts are producing with regard to western, without a trial and at the
same time without intending that it's all the same: paying attention to the
smallest dissonances with our major chord, and celebrating them?

(I am assuming a we and a them, none of which I am too certain anyway... who
is we, who is them? Am I reproducing the divide?)

best
jaime