[dance-tech] Re: dance tech network attacks

  • From: Simon Biggs <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ginslov@xxxxxxxxx>, <dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:33:47 +0000

Hi Jeannette

I am sorry if you feel attacked...that was not my intention. I was querying
the intellectual and historical basis upon which you were constructing your
argument.

I would agree that dancetech, like many listserves and even the creative
arts in general, tends to be for the privileged few in that it emerges from
an area of practice that is highly theorised not by theorists and historians
but the practitioners themselves. There is something about the art and media
nexus that brings this out in people. Perhaps it is that the historians and
theorists tend to ignore the field so the artists feel compelled to do this
work themselves.

I think dancetech does a good job of facilitating the exchange of views and
ideas. Johannes has taken an inclusive approach to its membership. I see no
reason for anti-intellectualism. Please be clear, I am not accusing you of
this. However, I do not see what is wrong with asking people to be able to
justify their stated positions. Venturing opinions in public will ensure
they are critiqued. That is what public debate is about. Testing arguments.
What you wrote about ³self² and the machine was philosophically contentious
and I was asking for clarity on this.

Regards

Simon

Simon Biggs